While surfing on Waikiki and the North Shore of Oahu are legendary, Maui offers its own fair share of notable surf spots. The sport of surfing can be equally enjoyed by watching them and trying it yourself. Learn more about where to catch the best waves and where to take surf lessons in Maui, plus the best spots to see surfers in action with our Maui Surf Report.
Ride the waves here
For those of you want to test the waters with your surfing skills, we’ve gathered up some of the best places to surf in Maui for beginners.
Maui boasts more beginner surfing spots than any other Hawaiian Island. A good rule of thumb for beginners is to find a spot that is easily accessible and don’t try to surf waves any higher than three feet. Try one of these top 5 beginner surf breaks in Maui:
Beginner surf breaks
- The Cove at Kalama Beach – known as Maui’s little Waikiki
- Launiupoko – a family-friendly beginner surf spot in West Maui
- Breakwall –
- Kaanapali Beach – ranked as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, it is also a great way for a beginner surfer get started.
- Puamana Beach Park – just south of Lahaina, this break spot offers a short paddle out, allowing for many opportunities to ride the waves.
- Paia Bay – rarely surfable in the summer, Paia Bay is idyllic for beginner surfers looking to catch their first wave in the winter.
- Olowalu – located in West Maui, Olowalu might be one of the best surf spots for beginners. This is spot borders on an intermediate level so don’t make this your first time out.
Learn how to surf like a pro
Before you head out for your first time it might be wise to take a few surf lessons with a professional to learn the dos and don’ts of the sport.
- Goofy Foot Surf School – 505 Front St #123, Lahaina, HI 96761 – (808) 244-9283
- Big Kahuna Adventures HI – 1913 S Kihei Rd, Kihei, HI 96753 – (808) 875-6395
- Maui Waveriders – 133 Prison St, Lahaina, HI 96761 – (877) 313-7873
- Island Scuba – 100 Nohea Kai Dr, Lahaina, HI 96761 – 1-888-606-4608
- Surf Shack – 1993 S Kihei Rd, Ste 12 Kihei, HI – (808) 875-7098
Watch the pros
For professional surfers, winter is the optimal season to catch that perfect wave, boasting some of the biggest swells of the year. To watch pro surfers in action, head out to one of these legendary spots on Maui.
Often making the top 5 waves in the world list, Honolua Bay is one of the best places to watch pro surfers fight for bragging rights at this notorious spot.
Known for nothing short of fantastic waves, Hookpia Beach is a great place to get front row seats to some of the best surfers in the area. And because of the beach’s strong headwinds, it also makes a great spot for kite surfers and windsurfers.
Wherever there is a list of where you can find the biggest waves, Peahi will without a doubt be listed. Located on the north end of Maui, Peahi’s surf break comes with it a nickname of JAWS. Witness this notorious surf break for a show you will never forget.
Stay at Kahana Sunset
No matter where you are planning to ride the wave or watch those ride in on the next big one, make Kahana Sunset your home base for your next Maui vacation. Located on Maui’s blue shores of Keoni Nu’i Bay, our oceanfront condos offer amazing views, spacious living areas, and affordable rates. It truly doesn’t get any better than Kahana Sunset!